Sunday, February 4, 2007

The sweet sound of success, cubed

No less then three bikes worked on and mostly finished this weekend.
First there was the XR250L the "dualsport"
This bike has been down for MONTHS to replace an exhaust gasket, which in turn led to having to drill the remains of a stud out of the cylinder head and timesert a new stud back into place.
This was an ordeal involving no less then 5 people a two different welders and drill.
While this was going on the old pipe and misc bits went off to the spray-bomb booth.

I did find that the spraypaint formally known as hammerite works really well to make ugly forks look pretty good.

The bike finally started with only a tiny amount of fan-fare as I had to drag it up the hill around the corner and bump start it.
once running and among the living it was doing a good job of hot restarts with only a kick or two needed.

The GB (this is the first GB that I got and the one with no airbox it's called GB1 or HeBeGB) Got FINALLY put back together
after being apart for um... Three years.
The short back story.
The headlight went out on the last ride I took with it. And instead of fixing it when I opened the headlight shell and noticed the NEST of wires...
I did the next best thing. I got a second GB and rode that one instead. leaving the headlight somewhere, where I would forget it....
Well, I fixed the headlight issues (bad fuse>bad, REALL bad PO "wiring" job+ new headlight+new headlight wiring+new fuse = Headlight that lights) and a with a carb cleaning (super easy with no airbox) the bike fired right up and settled into
the mutted muffled sound that is a GB500. And there was much joy.
There still needs to be some work done. Mostly tuneup stuff now. Plug, valves, oilchange, bleed the brakes and maybe new tires and chain.

The Ducati
I adjusted the chain and put the stock mufflers back on taking off the staintunes
Man, I must be getting old if I enjoy a quiet bike more then a loud one. It's so much easier to ride a quiet bike sportingly then it is a loud bike. And a bit more relaxing.

Went for an amazing sunset ride to cap off an good, productive weekend.

No comments: